Sunday, September 19, 2021
No menu items!
HomeUncategorizedTen suspects in the recent tribal fights in Saku presented in court

Ten suspects in the recent tribal fights in Saku presented in court

KNA   Ten suspects arrested two days ago at Manyatta Hola in Harrobota area of Saku constituency in Marsabit County in connection with tribal violence were Wednesday arraigned in a Marsabit court.

            

The ten men pleaded not guilty to two counts of being in possession of illegal firearms and intent to commit crime before local senior resident magistrate Tom Wafula.

            

Ali Yattani, Adano Ali, Isacko Ali, Umuro Yattani, Ibrae Tura, Umuro Molu, Mamo Malicha, Mamo Boru, Roba Elekuti and Gurach Jarso were ordered to be remanded in custody for 9 days at Marsabit police station to allow the prosecution to complete investigations.

            

The directorate of criminal investigations (DCI) and the directorate of public prosecution (DPP) requested the court to place the suspects in custody to give them room to conclude investigations and to record statements from witnesses.

            

The fatigue looking men, some barefooted, did not oppose being subjected to investigations but asked the court to grant them bond to enable them go about their routine duties.

            

The prosecutor Henry Koima told the court that the suspects committed the said offences on July 12, 2021 at Manyatta Hola, Harrobota area in Marsabit County where they were found in possession of one AK- 47 rifle and 30 rounds of ammunition.

            

The court was also informed that on the material day, the suspects were arrested while hiding in the house of one Godana Huqa who is still being sought by the police.

            

Koima further told the court that the seized firearm had been taken to Nairobi for ballistic examination and that the results were not yet out besides that tension was still high in the area affected by the ethnic clashes.

            

The magistrate ordered that the suspects be produced in court on July 22, 2021 when the investigating agencies are expected to have completed their investigations for further direction on the case.

            

The prosecution had earlier appealed to the court to order the suspects to be kept in custody for 10 day as more suspected perpetrators of the ethnic clashes were likely to be adjoined in the case and also to complete investigations.

            

The suspects told the court that they were all relatives except one and that they had sought refuge in the said homestead having fled from their homes which were destroyed following the ethnic violence that had earlier hit Marsabit town and its environs.

            

The owner of the house is still being sought by the police.

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular