Students of Eor Ekule mixed secondary school in Narok East Sub County burnt down one of their dormitories after they went on the rampage on Sunday night.
Narok County Police Commander John Kizito said trouble began at Eor Ekule secondary school when the school management denied male and female students to have a joint fellowship during a dedication service meant to celebrate a new music system purchased recently for the Christian Union.
Kizito said at midnight, the boys rioted and started throwing stones anyhow forcing the school principal Mrs. Margaret Nguku to summon the police immediately.
The County commander said when police arrived in the school compound, they found one of the dormitories dubbed ‘Loita’ that accommodates 200 boys had been burnt to ashes.
“We are yet to establish the exact value of the property destroyed during the night incident as we have already launched investigations into the matter,” the police boss said.
Kizito reiterated that by the time the fire engine arrived in the school compound, the dormitory had already been completely destroyed.
The police boss nevertheless said learning at the girls’ section was going on smoothly as the boy’s side was closed to give room for investigations. No one was injured in the incident.
Narok Senator Ledama Ole Kina who visited the troubled school in the dead of the night blamed senior boys whom he suspected were behind the mayhem.
“It was upsetting to see young boys aged 13 to 14 suffer because of a few senior boys who do not care about education,” Ole Kina said on his official Facebook account.
The wave of school fires had gone down in the county with the last reports being in February this year when six schools experienced unrest for a period of two weeks.
There have been concerns about school administrations’ preparedness to deal with fires, as most are not contained in time posing a danger to students.