Five people died Thursday night in Mashuuru, Kajiado County after a fierce fire broke out in their house when they were asleep.
The five, a mother and her three children together with their house help were burnt beyond recognition by the fire which started at around 11:30 pm.
The owner of the house, a businessman, was not present during the incident.
Efforts by neighbours to put out the fire proved futile as it was too fierce and it razed down the corrugated iron sheet house and everything inside to the ground.
Mashuuru Deputy County Commissioner Barasa Wafula confirmed the incident adding that the cause of the fire had not yet been ascertained and security officials were already on the ground investigating the incident.
It was however suspected that the fire might have been caused by an electric fault as a gas cylinder found among the rubble did not explode.
The bodies of the five identified as Naomi Timano (37), Komeiyan Saitoti (9), Gordwin Saitoti (6), Naishorwa Saitoti (5), and their house help Alice Nashipae (18) have been moved to Kilome Nursing Home mortuary.
Residents of Mashuuru complained that there was no firefighting engines nearby and called on the County Government to ensure that there is a functioning firefighting equipment at the sub county.