Property worth over Sh2.4 million was destroyed at Kutung Primary School in Serewo Location West Pokot County, following a fierce fire that gutted two dormitories and the school store on Tuesday evening.
Pupils are said to have been in class for their 7pm evening preps when two solar batteries exploded igniting the fire.
Confirming the incident, West Pokot County Police Commander Jackson Tumwet said teachers were supervising their pupils during the preps time when the incident happened.
“When police officers rushed to the scene, they found two adjacent dormitories and a food store on fire. The fire was later contained at around 10pm with the help of the West Pokot fire brigade and members of the public,” Tumwet said.
He said that no one was injured during the inferno although the school lost property ranging into millions.
He added that 130 pupils lost their personal effects with the school losing 60 and 25 bags of maize and beans respectively.
“Other items destroyed included 5 bags of rice, 5 jerrycans of 20 litres of cooking oil, 10 bales of salt, 3 solar panels and 10 litres water tank among other items,” stated the police commander.
The school head teacher David Simiyu said learners have been left with no food since the entire store went up in flames.
“Fortunately the fire broke out when the pupils were in class I can’t imagine what would have happened if the learners had been in the dormitories,” Mr Simiyu said.
He noted that the school doesn’t have electricity connection and they have been using solar energy for power.
“The school has a total population of more than 900 pupils of which 130 are borders. We thank the county government and the community at large for helping us to put out the fire,” Simiyu narrated and called upon well-wishers to come to their aid to help rebuild the school for learning to continue uninterrupted.