Saturday, January 29, 2022
No menu items!
HomeEducationEight individuals being investigated over the burning down of dormitory

Eight individuals being investigated over the burning down of dormitory

Police in Garissa are investigating eight individuals in connection with the burning down of a dormitory at the NEP girls’ secondary school on Sunday night.

 

According to the Garissa Sub-county deputy county commissioner Bernard Ole Kipury, the eight include students and non-teaching staff whom the police will be taking statements from, in relation to the incident.

 

Ole Kipury who led the Sub-county security team in assessing the damage to the dormitory that was completely razed down in the 7 pm inferno said that a multi-agency team has been formed to help and assist in nabbing the perpetrators.

 

“We are determined to ensure that those behind the crime are prosecuted to prevent those in other schools with same intent,” Ole Kipury said.

 

Last week, North Eastern Regional Commissioner Nicodemus Ndalana issued a stern warning to those maliciously destroying school or college properties.

 

Speaking at Garissa high school where he also led his regional security team to assess the fire damage in one of the dormitories, Ndalana said that investigations are ongoing on the arson attack and those who were involved will be prosecuted.

 

“This will serve as a deterrent to others,” Ndalana said.

 

Meanwhile the board of management of NEP girls’ high school today resolved to temporarily suspend the boarding wing of the institution following the fire incident.

 

The resolution was among recommendations reached after a daylong crisis meeting held to address the inferno.

 

According to the recommendations seen by KNA, the board decided to suspend the boarding wing because 80 percent of the boarders were locals who could ‘operate’ from home.

 

The board noted that the ‘reason for burning down the dormitory might be that the girls want freedom for them to go home again. They (board) decided that Form 1 and 2 will close on Friday while Form 3 and 4 will close on December 20’.

 

The board will be meeting soon to further deliberate on the re-opening dates in January. 

 

The ministry of public works has been mandated by the board to come up with costing of the fire incident so that the parents bear the cost when girls resume in January 2022.

Remains of the burned down dormitory at NEP girls’ secondary school

  

PCEA moderator Rt Rev Patrick Mutahi while speaking in Madogo Tana River County three weeks ago said the unrest in schools was a true reflection of how rotten the society has become.

 

“They copy you as a society and it is a pity we have become one that thrives on lawlessness. We are always on the streets chanting ‘haki yetu’ and then you expect our children will be disciplined when they go to school,” he said.

 

Mutahi said it all boils down to parents as children learn by example.

 

Proper upbringing, he said, involves moulding the child in a religious environment, noting that the word of God keeps one grounded throughout.

 

 “How do you expect your child to be disciplined as he or she grows up when you did not mould him or her to be one?” he added.

 

 

The Countyhttps://thecounty.co.ke
The County brings you comprehensive and unrivaled coverage of the happenings in all 47 Kenyan counties. It has not happened in mashinani if it is not on The County!
RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular